Packt Publishing is one of the top publishers in the world, which specializes in open source technologies and CMS development. It has hundreds of books on CMS systems such as WordPress, Drupal, Elgg, and more. WordPress Plugin Development is its latest effort to reach out and educate the OPS community on how to develop WP plugins.
This is a practical book that teaches you how to write enhancements for this platform by showing you real examples. You don’t just get snippets here or there. You get the whole script, and you are walked through the process as well. If you prefer a hands-on approach, you can start writing your own enhancements in no time. As long as you know what you are doing in PHP, you should be fine.
Creating CMS add-on is more than just writing the code. You also want to think about security, deployment, and compatibility issues. WordPress Plugin Development teaches you how to:
* Master the WordPress code-base, WP’s plug-in architecture, and the application programming interface (API).
* Manipulate data, handle user roles and permissions, and posts.
* Use actions and filters to write more sophisticated code.
* Customize menus, sub-menus, and the plug-in admin panel.
* Use AJAX and jQuery to write more dynamic plug-ins.
* Integrate your plug-in with panels and the tinyMCE editor
* Work with third-party APIs such as Flicker or Digg API
* Localize your installation.
* Publish your word to WP-Plugin Repository
* Create safe WP-plugins to protect the users against hackers.
The author walks you through the process of creating a simple solution for your CMS. The script gets complicated as you delve deeper and in the end you learn how to develop secure code that takes advantage of everything the platform has to offer. If you know PHP but are eager to use your programming background to develop complex solutions for this platform, you should consider reading this book.